Let's return to the origins of the city.
"Villacoublay" is formed of the Latin word villa and a Gallo-Roman patronymic, Escoblenus.
The present town is the meeting of the seigneuries of Vélizy-Villacoublay and Ursine which, in the Middle Ages, were the properties of the Hôtel-Dieu of Notre-Dame de Paris. It is then the Louvois family, already owner of the seigneuries of Chaville and Meudon, which gradually acquires these territories. Louis XIV bought in 1695 the lordships of Ursine and Villacoublay enlarging his domain of royal hunts. Velizy entered the territory of hunting only under Louis XVI.
The imprint left by Louvois is now visible with the church of Saint-Denis. Even today, the tympanum of the portal (which is not original) presents the arms of Louvois, the three salamanders. They are worn by two majestic lions, the whole is crowned with the royal crown.
In the 19th century, Vélizy was the scene of struggles against the invasion of the Prussians. In 1815, the city burned almost totally (which earned it the nickname "Little Moscow"), and then in 1870-1871. At the beginning of the 20th century, Vélizy and the hamlet of Villacoublay have 270 inhabitants. The city is one of the most important from the agricultural point of view of the department of Seine-et-Oise: 3 large farms share the exploitation of the farms.
The Mayor informs the Municipal Council that an overall work is being carried out in all the departments in agreement with the Direction des Archives de France in order to equip all municipalities with an urban symbolic mark and to revise the graph composition of existing ones.
In order that this coat of arms, which must constitute a symbolic document which the city can freely use for its official representations, be free from all errors of history and taste, the Mayor wished it to be received by Mr. Robert Louis, Heraldic artist, symbolic draftsman of the official services, 4, Cours Marigny in Vincennes, after deliberation of the departmental Urban Heraldic Commission of which he is a member.
The Mayor presents the illuminated model of the coat of arms and gives the following heraldic description:
Azure with two flights of silver in the shape of a V placed one above the other, accompanied in chief by a star and in a point of two quintetuilles; Between each of the flights of two ears of leafy and leafy wheat, one laid in a band, the other in a bench, the whole of gold.
The shield stamped with the gold and silver aerial crown of cities "air bases and airports". The shield supported by two sheaves of golden reeds fruited with sand hoisting of four silver-wrought burels placed in points. The cross of war 1939-1945, silver star, appended in point of the shield broaching on the wavy burelles.
The following explanations are given concerning the origin of the symbols used in the composition.
The main furniture constituting the coat of arms of Vélizy-Villacoublay are two stylized flights in the shape of V concretizing the initials of the two associated names of Vélizy and Villacoublay and also symbolizing the activity of the military airport of Villacoublay; The star on top of the flight placed in chief is the one on the pilots' badge and is the symbol of the guide and orientation (Bethlehem star and Polar star).
The large cultivated lands are recalled by the two wheat ears, and the Vélizy wood are represented by the symbol of the forest flora: the quintefeuilles.
The shield is stamped with the air crown of cities air bases or airports. It is surrounded by two groups of reeds hoisting waves, thus recalling the two ponds situated on the territory of the commune: the pond of Ursine and the pond of the Ecrevisses.
At the tip of the shield is the 1939-1945 war cross with silver star, national tribute paid to the inhabitants of Vélizy-Villacoublay for their patriotic fervor during the years of German occupation (Decision No. 16 of May 27 1952).
After having read this heraldic and historical document and having examined the model, the drawing presented to him as a communal symbol and decided that all the official or private reproductions which will be made must comply with the above text and the Graphic representations are in conformity with the tract that the artist will make and which will be attached to the present deliberation.
The seals or medals of the Commune shall be compulsorily composed with the silhouetted elements included in the aforementioned heraldic description.
The author of the graphic representation offers the composition of the coat of arms to the Commune of Vélizy-Villacoublay for the exclusive use of his administrative needs.
It is understood that the rights of the author remain reserved if the coat of arms of Vélizy-Villacoublay was used by a third party and for their profit for commercial or industrial purposes.
The author retains the moral property of his work and his signature must appear on all reproductions.
The present decision cancels the decision taken on April 29, 1957.
In the 1930s, the subdivisions developed: these are the current neighborhoods of the Clos and Vélizy-Bas. The pavilions of the Breguet city are also born.
The city of Vélizy-Villacoublay is occupied by the German troops between 1940 and 1944. The air base is the objective of the bombing allied to 6 times. The one of August 24, 1943 was particularly murderous for the commune, the bombs having touched the quarters of houses.
After the Second World War, Vélizy-Villacoublay was declared a "disaster-stricken city" on September 3, 1945, and in 1952, the Secretary of State for War awarded the Croix de Guerre a national homage to the inhabitants of the commune. In 1958, the town was declared an Urbanized Zone by Priority. In the 1960s, Vélizy-Villacoublay underwent profound changes.
Under the impetus of Robert Wagner (Mayor of Vélizy-Villacoublay from 1953 to 1988), the city was entrusted with the task of constructing a comprehensive urban plan in agreement with the Ministry. The plan is drawn up by the urban planner Robert Auzelle in collaboration with the architect Alain Gillot. The Grand ensemble of Vélizy-Villacoublay was born. In three major phases, the city takes on its present appearance: the central district (the Mall district) emerges from the land between 1963 and 1966, then in the west (the Mozart district) from 1966 to 1970, (The Louvois district) from 1969 to 1975 and an economic zone (the Vélizy 2 regional shopping center and two lifestyle satellites and the Usine Center).
Le bureau de poste du centre commercial Westfield Vélizy 2 sera fermé à compter du lundi 16 mars, pour une durée indéterminée.
Les automates courrier-colis et bancaires restent à disposition des clients.